How do I become ServSafe certified?
1) Go to the ServSafe main website and create an account
- Don’t forget your username and password, as you will need this for all future ServSafe activities
2) Purchase ServSafe Book– MAKE SURE IT IS THE ”MANAGER” BOOK (not “Food Handler”)
- Order the ServSafe Manager Book 6th Ed online. $50.50 (groups can share books)
- You can also order from Amazon (but be sure it is a recent edition)
- Study, study, study! (At least a week!)
3) Find an exam proctor
- They will either be someone from your dining services, Campus Kitchens staff or an outside 3rd party (we can work with you to find a proctor).
- Ask you dining service director if they know of a proctor or if you can join the next group of staff taking the exam.
- Our staff can also proctor the exam during the set-up visit for some students.
4) Purchase online exam voucher
- Log in to the main ServSafe page.
- Under the “Purchase” tab on the top right, click “ServSafe Manager.”
- Then choose “Manager Online Training and Certification Exam” from the list of products (2nd from top).
- Then choose “ServSafe Mgr Certification Online Exam Voucher: Electronic Voucher” ($36.00).
- Add to the shopping cart and purchase.
5) Take the exam
- In order to actually take the test, you will need an exam voucher (which you just purchased in the previous step) and a class number (which your proctor will have). At the end of the test, the proctor will grade the exams by signaling the exam is completed and closing out the testing session.
- Log in to the main ServSafe site again.
- Click “Take Online Exam” under the students tab.
- Choose English. (Note: its important that both the vouchers and each examinee’s choice is for English – the voucher won’t work otherwise.)
- Fill out the rest of the information – it will ask for both the voucher number proctor code, which they will have.
- Finally, good luck!
- You must get at least a 75% in order to pass.
- The certificate will be sent in the mail in a few days. They expire after 5 years.